Are you a decision maker? Do you have the courage to take these predictions and make them happen? I'm looking to partner with "Lets make it happen" owners and managers who are ready to make 2018 the year that radio history is made!
1. Some of the big groups will start to breakup once they realize that radio is a local media that needs “local care and tenderness” Investors will lose patience and station sales will be made to local operators.
2. Somebody will figure out radio’s next revenue model. The era of 8-10 commercials in a row will end and we will get into a whole new system of presenting advertisers messages. Long, hard to listen thru clusters will no longer exist.
3. Radio will figure out how to monetize demo’s other than 25-54. Preteen stations will pop up as well as 50+ formats.
4. Since it will be owned by local operators, radio will go back to a 24/7 operation. This will increase the need for talent and also give new talent a chance to get on the air in overnights and weekends.
5. More and more stations will drop Nielsen. Since radio will move to a local model, results will matter more over ratings. Programming pressure will be on sounding great, getting results and being out in the community.
6. Programmers will look back at the golden era of top-40 radio and adapt many of its practices. Great DJ’s and exciting imaging will once again be a part of every radio station.
7. DJ’s will matter more than “10 in a Row”. Good ones will be in demand. Salaries will once again rise.
8. Programmers will realize the power of strong jingles for branding their image. Memorable and fun jingles will once again appear all across the nation. Smart programmers will listen to PAMS cuts and ask “How do we take the idea behind these and make it work today”
9. Radio will go back to being more “full service”. Information will be a big part of that mix. Many stations will go back to “News” all day long.
10. Realizing that commercials can be a tune-out, radio will adapt programs that test and improve the quality of commercials. Jerry Lee of WBEB, Philadelphia is ahead of the curve, as he is doing this now.
Gary Berkowitz consults the most successful AC stations in the country. From New York, Boston and Salt Lake City, to smaller markets like Spokane and Merced, Gary helps radio stations sound better and increase ratings.
"When you hire Gary Berkowitz, you get Gary Berkowitz." When you hire Gary, you get Gary. No associates. No second stringers.
Stations consulted by Gary Berkowitz win. Call me today for a no obligation, confidential discussion about your station. 248.737.3727